Now that things start getting serious and I might have to start wearing metal brackets on my teeth… the self consciousness starts kicking in. Again I started looking around to find adult male persons wearing braces, but no “luck” 🙁 Even though a lot of people insured me I shouldn’t be worried about it, I’m starting to feel pretty strange about it. I think one shouldn’t underestimate the consequences of a braces treatment:
- The fact that my bottom teeth are pretty visible while talking. For sure people will notice them immediately.
- The cleaning / taking care of sounds very intensive. Brushing my teeth minimum 3 times a day sounds almost impossible!
- Having to worry each day about my food-habits. I’ll have to avoid some types of food and drinks.
- Going on business-trip or holiday? What will happen when a bracket pops of? It will ruin my trip!
- Elastics! Please don’t tell me I’ll have to mess around with elastics while eating?
- The monthly visits at the orthodontist. How am I going to arrange that? I have to go to work?
- What will happen if I miss some appointments? Will the orthodontist have to prolong the treatment?
- Retainers… After finishing the braces treatment it will not be over yet 🙁
As you can see I’m going through a roller coaster of questions. But especially the self consciousness makes me nervous! To be continued.